canberrabirds

Koel Behaviour so far

To: <>
Subject: Koel Behaviour so far
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:47:34 +1100
My expectations posted several weeks ago certainly haven’t proven to be correct so far.  In fact for the next couple of weeks I heard calling in the distance only once, but they calling started again on 5 November, when other members also started hearing Koels.  They have been regularly heard calling since (including some wirra wirras), but have proven to be very difficult to pin down to an exact location, which has only been managed once in this time (close to the Chapman shops).

They appear to be particularly mobile, on several occasions when I’ve tried to find the tree the calls are coming from, but they seem to have been constantly moving on.   I suspect there may be several/up to three in the Chapman/Rivett area but can’t rule out a single constantly moving bird.  Another feature has been calls heard from the trees in woodland on Cooleman Ridge or in the Chapman horse paddocks several hundred metres away from the houses.

Jack Holland