canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz

To: "'Barbara Allan'" <>, <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz
From: "JUDY MIDDLEBROOK" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:35:38 +1100

Hello Barbara

In a 20 minute walk yesterday along a small section of road at Uriarra Village I identified 18 species plus a small honeyeater (I think) which was olive green on the underside. I was directly underneath and it didn't oblige by moving to where I could see it's head colour).  I also saw several birds I could not identify.  The identified species (I have to admit I was helped by two long time bush dwellers) were:

·         1 tawny frogmouth owl

·         6 crimson rosellas

·         7 magpies

·         6 yellow thornbills (there seemed to be many more in the clump of trees but I only saw 6 up close)

·         1 wood swallow

·         3 willy wagtails

·         10 pied currawongs

·         21 white cockatoos

·         1 yellow tailed black cockatoo

·         7 crested pigeons

·         19 galahs

·         6 blue wrens

·         12 sparrows (I'm sure there were more)

·         2 red browed finches

·         2 silver eyes

·         1 mudlark (peewit)

·         6 wood ducks

·         1 scarlet robin

The area was straight ahead from Jim Bradley Crescent to the community centre – a distance of about 600 metres. Uriarra Village is not shown on the grid but as it was gazetted in May/June this year I expect it to be shown in future. It is now on ACTPla maps.

cheers

Judy Middlebrook