canberrabirds

Butcherbird in Holder

To: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Subject: Butcherbird in Holder
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:09:13 +1100
I will hopefully be able to attach an image to this showing A (abundance) and F (Frequency) statistics for the Grey Butcherbird over the 30 completed years of the GBS.  As seems logical with a species exploring new territory the value of F (the proportion of sites at which the species was seen at least once in the year) started to climb before A which indicates the number of birds seen over the course of the year.

Until I prepared this chart I had thought that the increase of the Butcherbirds was an outcome of the '03 fires destroying their 'normal' habitat in the ranges.  However it would seem from the chart that they were already beginning to move - shown by F, especially the trend line, from about 1999 - while the large increase in A only happens around 2006 - presumably when breeding had started to develop a local population.

Martin