canberrabirds

Do you speak French?

Subject: Do you speak French?
From: Daniel Hoops <>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:11:44 +1100
The club is indeed a bird breeder's club.  The name of the club is "The club of
exotic bird breeders: breeding to prevent removing, preserving for passion."

They state their objectives as:

""Breeding to prevent removing" must be our primary purpose.  To attain this
goal: we want to mobilise our members to adhere to the rules of keeping birds.
We use breeders as the primary means of attaining our goal, provided that the
breeders follow these values:

-the breeding be kept as a hobby, and the breeder continually strive to improve
their knowledge and the quality of life of their birds.
-the personal and collective responsibility towards the birds being kept, other
bird breeders and teaching opportunities
-breeder solidarity in order to improve the efficiency in breeding birds."

I've translated this as directly as possible from
http://www.le-cde.com/Le_Club.awp, I don't think it's the clearest possible set
of objectives.  Personally I think it's very circular and does not outline
their main purpose very well.

As to the larger question of keeping and breeding birds in captivity, I realize
it's a touchy subject.  While it may not be ideal keeping animals in captivity,
especially birds, the illegal wildlife trade is the second largest
international smuggling operation in the world, after drugs (and before humans,
believe it or not).  It's at the point now that a conservation group has agreed
to breed a rare species of snake in captivity and distribute the offspring for
free to hobbyists.  They're doing this to try and keep the market price low and
prevent the animals from being removed from the wild.

That being said, though these groups often claim this kind of conservation as
their goal, in reality they're often the ones buying up rare, wild-caught
species in order to try and breed them, and are ultimately the ones fuelling
the market.

Cheers,
Dan

Daniel Hoops