canberrabirds

Blue-billed Ducks

To: <>
Subject: Blue-billed Ducks
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:16:11 +1100
Sorry for needing to clarify even at the need to be tedious. As the "someone", I will say I then thought that Mark's earlier mention of this, was the only hint I had ever heard of that suggestion. It being a surprise suggestion to me and with me having no knowledge of this species being kept domestically, after all the years that those birds were there, it seemed odd and worthy of stronger evidence to support the idea.

I did not say it was a rumour, I wrote: "Mark now raises as I suppose a rumour" - "I suppose a rumour", not that it is a rumour, this being the only set of words I could come up with and as modest as I could be, as there was not much information presented to go on. I credited Mark with the idea, simply because I knew of no other origin for the suggestion. That seems fair to me.

I notice that Steve Wilson's book (the most obvious reference on such things) has no suggestion of this possible origin. It talks about two birds were noted at JWNP on 2-7-1966, since then they have been noted at other places but mainly at FSTW. Also that "individuals and small groups have remained for some months at times". That suggests many establishments of the species. That history does not disprove, but I reckon does not sit easily, with the idea of captive origins of this small group. Also I note that these birds (from my observations) are usually at the far side of the ponds and not easily approachable, which does seem odd for aviary bred birds.

Mark's earlier message 30-9-2011 was After asking a few questions of people in the know (there are several duck experts locally) I am now 99% certain they were “aviary” bred and released on the ponds.  That to me is within reasonable definition of "I suppose a rumour" but sorry if Mark or others disagree. It is nowhere as definitive as the now written as a statement that these birds were introduced by a former aviculturalist many years ago. I think people will find that Chris Davey and Peter Fullagar will agree with this statement.

Maybe Chris and Peter could add some insight to this, or simply ask the gentleman concerned to verify that he did release these birds there.

Thanks to Mark for now having clarified to us of some additional basis, that it is something more than a supposed rumour. I'll keep the idea open. It is an interesting suggestion.