canberrabirds

Blue-billed Ducks

To: <>
Subject: Blue-billed Ducks
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 01:14:10 +1100
It will be nice to have some direct information as to the number of and timing of release of these birds. Would make an interesting case study. Given the strength of Mark's conviction to his memory I have no reason to doubt that someone could have released some individuals of this species. Was there any other person who was present at the time of the release of these birds to confirm the story or just the person who allegedly did it? For Mark's conclusion to be true, I suggest this release must have happened many times since then and in recent years.

If as Mark writes the birds were released in the late 1970’s, early 80’s (let's go with your memory and say about 30 years ago) and I do gather that these birds on the FSW have bred then what happened to the chicks produced there? These chicks are not released aviary bred birds, they are wild bred birds. Even without breeding, if these releases occurred about 30 years ago, it is not likely to be correct that all The birds on the Fyshwick Sewage Ponds are released aviary bred birds. What is the chance that all the birds present in recent years (say about the last decade) are all 20 to 35 years old?

I unashamedly take "The birds on the Fyshwick Sewage Ponds" in the context of the quote, as referring directly to the specific individuals (as not just any member of the species) over all the records of the last many years. I don't accept that those birds could have lived that long and had populations be so variable without breeding and without natural migration in and out of the area. The birds have often been missing over the last several years and then returned some months later in different numbers and sex ratios. The absences cannot all be explained by being hard to find.

It is hard to comprehend that if several people have known of this for years, that it has never been published. In Steve Wilson's book for one. If Chris knew this and is the author of the duck section in the COG ABR, not adding that is a huge omission. I now notice that the COG Atlas (page 191) mentions only two records in the whole three year Atlas period (1986 to 1989), one in September 1986 at Lanyon and only one bird probably recorded twice: in March and April 1988 at FSP. I also note that the COG Atlas does not include the species in Appendix 2 "escapees and releases". Why not? My recollection of the process of writing and editing the Atlas text is that many members (such as myself) had a lot of input into the text of this book. Chris Davey is acknowledged as on the editorial subcommittee (page 2). If he knew that the (one only) bird recorded twice at FSP was a released pet, why was the species not included in Appendix 2?  That would be another huge omission. For all the effort devoted into the Atlas project, I consider it untenable that the birds released about 30 years ago, transmogrified into only one bird for two months at that site over that whole three year period and then into the higher numbers of about 10 in recent years and they are all the same occasional one or somehow several birds. Sorry the idea does not stack up.

Sure, someone may have released some individuals of this species about 30 years ago but unless this has happened many times since over a period of decades, the available records suggest those released birds mostly died out or left and the recent variable population is more likely to be natural recolonisation. And why wouldn't it be?