canberrabirds

blue-billed ducks

To: <>
Subject: blue-billed ducks
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:37:23 +1100

After an unsuccessful morning at Kelly’s looking for snipe (both varieties) Carole Elliott and I wandered over to the sewage ponds for a quick look. There were 2, possibly 3, Black-fronted Dotterels and what I assume given the size difference, a pair of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers on the first pond on the right walking down from the gate. This pond appears to be drying rapidly and was quite shallow. On the second pond on the left were 2 male Blue-billed Ducks and a possible third bird, a female, hidden amongst the Hardheads and grebes. As I noted in an earlier email, these birds were introduced by a former aviculturalist many years ago. I think people will find that Chris Davey and Peter Fullagar will agree with this statement as all three of us worked with the gentleman concerned so it is not a rumour that I have started as suggested by someone recently.

Mark