canberrabirds

Re: An interesting drive around the Parish

To: COG List <>
Subject: Re: An interesting drive around the Parish
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:34:28 +1100
Sorry that escaped halfway through.  Full version below.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:28 PM, martin butterfield <> wrote:
As I haven't been to the Southern Reaches of Carwoola/Hoskinstown for a few weeks I took myself off there this morning.  Herewith the highlights:
  • Many Fairy Martins at the usual culvert in Plains Rd.  As they became noisy when I stood out of the car I decided against trying to get a photo into the culvert.
My next stop was Q corner- the very sharp bend South of Hoskinstown.
  • A pair of squabbling Hooded Robins zipped across the road in front of me and disappeared into some hawthorns.
  • Double-barred finches and Diamond Firetails heard calling.
  • 2 Brown Quail also zoomed across the road.
Foxlow Lagoon
  • At least 2 families of Black Swans
  • 2 Australian Shelducks
  • 100s of Eurasian Coot
Near Foxlow Bridge
  • 2 Southern Whiteface
I then went for a drive down Woolcara Lane to Yanununbeyan.  The Lane was very aromatic as the spring flush of grass was having the usual effect on the cattle.  A good range of common bush birds and a very good array of flowers in the State Conservation Area (I have never seen as much Tetratheca as this year).  On the way back, in a small dam in front of Woolcara homestead:
  • 1 Pacific Heron
Martin