canberrabirds

Re: Exotic plants for our native birds

To: <>
Subject: Re: Exotic plants for our native birds
From: "Dow, Coral (DPS)" <>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 17:58:43 +1000
Point taken ( in most cases I plant natives) however
when 'inheriting' an old garden it might be useful to have some of this
knowledge before rushing in and pulling out all exotics
not all natives are tough and drought hardy as some garden literature
would have us believe whereas some bird attracting exotics are
some mix well with natives
some provide flowers in summer which I find is a lean time for native
bird flowers (other than callistemons?)in my garden
some flower for longer periods
some gardens need deciduous trees on the north and many of these provide
food for parrots in greater abundance than natives (I'm thinking in my
garden of wattles, hakeas)

Dr Coral Dow
Senior Researcher, Social Policy Section
Research Branch
Parliamentary Library, Department of Parliamentary Services
Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600
Ph: 02 6277 2709
Fax: 02 6277 2498