canberrabirds

Re; Exotic plants for our native birds

To: "Peter Ormay" <>, <>
Subject: Re; Exotic plants for our native birds
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 12:56:55 +1000
Thanks for setting off this interesting discussion, Peter.

My garden is probably 95% native in volume (including 'lawn'), but exotics play a very important role, and I love it when they serve native birds well.
Some of the things exotics do that natives (or most natives) cannot:
* Feed us well - we have been eating good quantities of tomatoes almost every day since mid December (I still have two large trays ripening inside), we frequently eat greens/herbs from the garden, and I'm looking forward to water chestnuts ... * give good shade in summer and let through the winter sun. We had a large diseased eucalypt taken out on our SW boundary. This was replaced by birches, and our neighbour has winter sun through her north facing glass (as was designed for in the 60s!) through the morning and middle of the day for the first time in 40 years (and we will have the late afternoon shade in mid summer). * provide cut flowers all year - proteas especially good this time of year, roses at other times, and gardenias, daphne, wisteria, dogwoods, hellebores, spring & autumn bulbs etc etc ... . Some natives that grow well in Canberra are good, but most are too subtle or not sufficiently floriferous. * provide sweet perfume (some natives very good here, too - eucs, wattles, some grevilleas etc) - osmanthus, some species camellias, daphne, roses etc etc - and lavender in the middle of the driveway and under the clothes line ... My berberis are still too small, but in my parents' large country garden their prickly berberis shrubs have in them dozens of small bird nests (esp of fairy wrens) where they are protected from the currawongs.

On the other hand - why on earth do people who like formal, clipped gardens plant box hedges when there are correas such as Dusky Bells ... etc ....

-----Original Message----- From: Peter Ormay