canberrabirds

Replacing binoculars

Subject: Replacing binoculars
From: David Adams <>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 12:47:49 +1000
While birders typically carry x8 or x10 binoculars, x7 is worth
considering for a few reasons:

* The effective difference in magnfication between x7 and x8 is
slight. If I calculate it correctly, x7 makes 100 meters appear to be
14.3 meters while x8 makes 100 meters appear to be 12.5 meters. So,
between 7 and 8 you gain less than 2 meters. (Going from x1 to x2
gains you 50 meters.)

* x7 binoculars can be _much_ lighter than x8 and also much cheaper. I
don't know your price range, but this can make the difference between
buying so-so x8/x10 binoculars and really nice x7's. You'll see more
and better with high quality x7's than lower quality x8 or x10
binoculars. Also, because lighter, you've got a better chance of
bringing the x7's along!

* We've got three pairs of Pentax 8x42 or 8x43 waterproof binoculars.
These things are _fantastic_ value for money. I seriously considered
the x7 because they're so much lighter. The current model series is
called "DCF SP" - they're waterproof and very high quality. Not as
high quality as binoculars costing three times as much, but pretty
darn close. Great close focus, great image quality, great in low
light.

* Binoculars are a great deal more expensive in Australia than in the
US. What with the strong $A, you should be able to save potentially a
good bit of money buying out of the US, even with the extra shipping
and insurance costs. Lots of folk in Australia buy cameras and
binoculars this way. Ask on birding-aus if you want a recommendation
on vendors that are good at shipping to Australia, I buy in the US
when I visit as I go every year.

Enjoy!