canberrabirds

Sutton Road

To: COG List <>
Subject: Sutton Road
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 16:39:59 +1000
The ANPS walk today went to a woodland property off Sutton Rd.  Very few birds were game to venture out in the most unpleasant weather.  The highlight of the 10 species recorded was a flock of approximately 8 Varied Sittelas moving through the canopy.  A COG DB entry has been made.

It was interesting that in conversation - not round a campfire, but before we started walking - with the owner of the property and another resident from Wamboin (perhaps 8km away) that I was asked about a screaming owl heard recently.  On playing the tracks from the BOCA CDs both ladies seized upon the call of the Masked Owl as being what they heard.  (Options offered were Masked, Barking and Barn Owls.)   I suspect the RP would have trouble endorsing a record in these circumstances but, so that a possible future foray might be organised.have asked to be informed promptly  if they hear it again.

Martin