canberrabirds

Replacing binoculars

Subject: Replacing binoculars
From: Nick Payne <>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 08:50:52 +1000
When you are shopping for a pair, it would be worthwhile to check out a pair of image stabilized binoculars. Image stabilization is going to eventually change the whole binocular market in the same way that it has the camera market - the great majority of cameras sold these days have it. With IS you can see better detail due to the stability of the image.

Canon make a waterproof 10x42 IS, but it probably doesn't fit your criteria of light weight.

We have Zeiss 8x40 and Leica 8x42 in our household, both of which I can recommend. Neither are cheap. They're both waterproof - in fact the Leica's manual recommends rinsing the bins in a bowl of water if they get dirty. The Leica also has a coating on the lenses which does a pretty good job of eliminating fogging in wet or cold or foggy conditions.

Nick