canberrabirds

UPDATE ... Buzzing line, Quassia & crimson rosellas

To: "Barbara Preston" <>, "Bird List" <>
Subject: UPDATE ... Buzzing line, Quassia & crimson rosellas
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 15:20:44 +1000
Hi All
Just after sending my message re quassia yesterday I found several lengths of buzzing line (the pale aqua plastic tape). I stretched the lengths over most of the balcony rails where the wisteria is growing - tautly stretched from wisteria branchlets that are above the rails. (The balcony is triangular.) I thought I had suceeded until a short while ago - the female CR spent a few minutes trying to find a juicy bud less than a metre under a loudly buzzing line (it's quite breezy at the moment). She was chased away by a wattle bird, but came back again, unpeturbed, it seems, by the buzzing line - though she might have been sufficiently distracted by it not to actually find any buds (though it might just be that there were not buds left to find). I finally couldn't restrain myself, and, as I've done so many times before, stormed out onto the balcony, loudly clapping and shooing, and she took off squawking . . .
Maybe I just need to learn to share ...
cheers
Barbara