canberrabirds

Quassia & crimson rosellas

To: Rod's Gardening <>, " >> canberra birds" <>
Subject: Quassia & crimson rosellas
From: David Nicholls <>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:19:17 +1000
The same thing happened to our nectarine trees in Merimbula last summer, with Rainbow Lorikeets. The net did protect some of the fruit, but fruit fly got into everything, so we just removed the netting and let the Lorikeets have their fill :-)

There's a plastic "raptor" thingie that you can hang above your garden which - the maker claims - disgruntles birds bent on eating garden contents. It seems a bit drastic and - if it works - would probably rid the garden of all birds.

DN

Rod's Gardening wrote:
Crimson Rosellas have once again devastated our tree ferns. The dangling CDs didn't do the deterent trick so I came home with some bird net from Bunnings. Looked promising draped over the ferns but the Rosellas landed on it and kept right on munchin'. After loosening the net up a bit they seem to have given up - so far so good - but I had some awful visions of coming home and finding CRs caught in the loose folds. Speaking of things being caught, I haven't been using the Myna Bird trap lately for various reasons, but still managed to land a quite big rat that blundered its way inside.