canberrabirds

Clearing of riparian vegetation along Molonglo Reach [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: <>
Subject: Clearing of riparian vegetation along Molonglo Reach [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 10:01:07 +1000
The short answer is that there will be no Darter/Cormorant nesting where all
the vegetation has been cleared.

I haven't checked the area that Marnix refers to.  In the Yellow Pages map
'Molonglo Reach' is the broad expanse of river by the canoeing facility.
Further west on the north side, heading back towards the lake, is a dense
jungle of blackberry, privet and other exotics which is a favoured haunt of
blackbirds, starlings and some native species (silvereyes, fairy-wrens,
scrubwrens etc).  The Exotics Squad has so far ignored it, presumably
because getting machinery in there would be difficult.  However, I have
often thought that unless that particular urban seed reservoir is addressed
they are fiddling at the edges and wasting money rooting out the odd Celtis
or cotoneaster from more accessible reserves.  Personally I think exotics
are generally good for birds, sometimes essential to their presence.
However either they're being cleared or they're not.