canberrabirds

Stromlo Forest Park

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Stromlo Forest Park
From: "Kamprad" <>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:51:42 +1000
I went to Stromlo Forest Park yesterday, Friday, to try to see Marnix's White-fronted Chats. Despite about 2 hours (around mid-day) search in at least all the spots Marnix recommended I did not see them. I did, however have a pleasant walk in the sun and light breeze and did see
20 Double-barred Finch
1 Diamond Dove
1 male Golden-headed Cisticola in breeding plumage and carrying out his display flight
3 Yellow Thornbill one of which I had a clear, 30 second view of the streaked ear coverts. The colours were bright as you would expect the coastal form to be.
1 imm Flame Robin
There were masses of Superb Fairy-wren in many groups. The Fairy- wrens were busy hassling birds from other groups and species out of their area. There was also many  Richard's (Australian) Pipit. Several males did their display flight.
As the grass is very short I got interesting views of changing species groups of the mixed feeding flocks with the seemingly minor changes in landform and fauna.
17 species including 2 raptor in all

While I was there I saw 15 or so humans either working in leisure pursuits.