canberrabirds

Stromlo Forest Park Diamond Dove & Yellow Thornbill

To: "John Martinet" <>, "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Stromlo Forest Park Diamond Dove & Yellow Thornbill
From: "Kamprad" <>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 11:37:27 +1000
The Diamond Dove was below the big dam near the creek. The big dam has an amazing broad, grassed pathway down around its wall. The grassed area was so beautiful I felt I should not be walking on it but other people were using it as a running track. I saw only 1 DD. I flushed it and it sat for a long time in about 2m from the ground in a small tree. This allowed me to slowly approach to get a good view. The Cisticola and the raptors were in this area as well as a Diamond Firetail/ Red-browed Finch, which I saw only fleetingly.
The Yellow Thornbill was on the Duffy side of what appears to me to be a hill climb for push bikes or maybe the memorial. This hill climb is upslope from the car park. The YTs flew into a group of wattle that grow upslope from the creek. They flew off towards the nearby eucalypts that grow at the back of the hill climb. These trees look as if they survived the fire and now have considerable leaf regrowth.
The trees were alive with small birds and honeyeaters.
Julienne