canberrabirds

A south coast question

To: "Mark Clayton" <>
Subject: A south coast question
From: "Harvey Perkins" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:34:12 +1000
Re the Little Friarbird -

I saw what I'm pretty sure was one in hind-dune woodland at Hammerhead Point on the Beecroft Peninsula about 3 km NW of Currarong, on 25 January this year. It was in the upper canopy in either eucs or casuarinas and was quietly 'yelping' to itself repeatedly. It was for the most part semi-obscured and always mostly silhouetted (and I only had a really crappy pair of binoculars with me at the time) but I'm pretty sure, based on size and what I could make out of the bluish face skin and head feathering, that it was a Little rather than a Noisy Friarbird. No sign of yellow on the chin suggests an adult despite the call being reminiscent of a juvenile/immature.

I was, like you, surprised to see one this far south.

Harvey