canberrabirds

buff banded rail

Subject: buff banded rail
From: "Harvey Perkins" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:53:21 +1000
I saw a juvenile and an adult Buff-banded Rail foraging at the Namadgi Visitor's Centre pond back on 10 March (shortly after Matt Frawley first notified Canberrabirds of the bird's presence there on 25 Feb). The juvenile was almost full size but was duller than the adult, and when the bird stretched its wings it was clear that the primaries were incompletely grown. I never saw the juvenile fly and suspect it would be very limited in its ability even if it could.

I also saw one of the Spotless Crakes that Matthew mentioned in his original post.

Harvey