canberrabirds

Boobook

To: Rod's Gardening <>
Subject: Boobook
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:53:07 +1000
We've had a Boobook roosting in the garden here in Florey for the last 2 weeks or so (just checked and it's still there this morning). I haven't heard any calling though. I don't know what the nightly range of a Boobook is, but Florey to Holder seems a bit far...

John Brannan

Rod's Gardening wrote:
A few moments ago I was sitting here penning a few words to Tobias about the Monga NP when I had to put it all on hold - Boobook calling outside so I dashed out to investigate.  Couldn't locate it but it was in a rather dense gum only 10 metres away in back neighbour's yard. (Well, ya gotta be careful flashing spotlights around at this time of night!)  There was at least one and possibly 2 other birds nearby answering (?) the closer birds calls.  First time I personally have heard one here in Holder after 37 years.  Just occasionally it pays to be a night owl. .....

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330

--
36 Challinor Cres., Florey, Canberra ACT 2615, Australia
Ph.: (+612) 6258 6038	Fax: (+612) 6258 6238