canberrabirds

Tharwa SW, Castle Hill, Lambrigg?, Gordon Pond [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Subject: Tharwa SW, Castle Hill, Lambrigg?, Gordon Pond [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 17:15:16 +1000
Jack's posting included:  "One very interesting feature was that as
the lakes, Isabella,  Upper and Lower Stranger etc first filled they
were very attractive to water
birds, but became less interesting within about 6 months as they settled."

I have heard other comments about the "aging" of lakes changing their
attractiveness for waterbirds.   A local example is that when we moved
to Canberra in 1983 Musk Ducks were very common at Lake Ginninderra
(and I believe bred there in the mid-80s) whereas I haven't seen a
Musk Duck there for more than 15 years.

Is there a reference which explains what aspects of the changing
quality of the water (or other parts of the ecosystem) are impoortant
for which species?

Martin