canberrabirds

Roosting magpie larks

To: <>
Subject: Roosting magpie larks
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:19:24 +1000
This might be of no great interest, but our local pair of magpie larks have taken to roosting just outside my office window (in a James Stirling pittosporum interbranching with a hakea, at first floor level). They have come about every third evening for about 2-3 weeks. They arrive very close to 4.45 pm, calling and moving around the trees (and sometimes squabbling with currawongs & magpies). Then they settle by about 5.00pm on the same thinnish branch each time, with a bit of gentle pecking and shoving and mutual preening, stretching and fluffing up etc - settling down for the night (I think - they are hard to see in the dark, and I do not stay in my office all evening, but I have noticed then there a couple of times close to midnight).
It's now 5.15, and they are a sweet distraction in my line of sight - perched facing opposite directions, bodies touching and beaks resting on the other's back. ...
good night
Barbara
Barbara Preston Research
ABN 18 142 854 599