canberrabirds

LIST OF ACRONYMS

To: "Philip Veerman" <>, <>
Subject: LIST OF ACRONYMS
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:56:28 +1000
Philip - I most definitely did make this list just for the chatline - it is meant to serve an entirely different purpose from the other standardised abbreviations you mention.  As I said, I'm not aiming to make this a standard to be followed, it is meant to allow the average user to decipher what some other imperfect member is talking about. Hence in one context BF may mean a Brown Falcon, and in another it's  Beautiful Firetail. Hopefully the author will have included the name in full or at least a clue beforehand, assuming we have the entire text at hand.  But even if they choose to write B Firetail the list will usefully allow that to be decoded to "beautiful" if you look up "BF".

Before anyone else worries that I'm using up my breakfast cereal for little result, I didn't type out the words!  This is modified from the local species list to which I added the acronyms; not a single bird name has been typed by me!  It didn't take long, but I reckon it is useful. You may disagree...

I do agree that you shouldn't use an acronym just because it has been stuck in a list, and certainly not obscure ones.  But if we make a short list by excluding these obscure birds, as sure as eggs we'll leave out exactly the one that someone needs.  I think it needs to be comprehensive to be useful.

Once again, I am not suggesting that this is a list of official abbreviations for any purpose, it is a decoding list of informal abbreviations that people tend to use on the chatline.

Julian