canberrabirds

Honeyeater Poll

To: "'Kamprad'" <>, "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>
Subject: Honeyeater Poll
From: "Stephen Mugford" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:51:11 +1000

Julienne

I guess the issue could become semantic. I took GD to mean that the issue was more focussed on ‘overlooking a number of visits’ than ‘has there EVER been’ cases of these birds being here. If we are on the latter, one would be heroic to think they’ve never been here (as BA’s message makes clear). But if we are wondering—as I thought Geoffrey was—whether there had been a steady trickle and we just had not noticed I stay with my original view: tens of  thousands of “bin hours” by hundreds of birdos in numerous locations and hardly any trace before suggests they actually were not here.

I like this a lot better than “we never saw them”—esp. given that most birdos and I make no exception for myself—get a kick out of finding something new/unusual. ( I quail at some of the things I wanted to think I’d seen before common sense and further examinations of Field Guides prevailed). I really think that if they had been around we would have recorded them.

Surely the changed conditions in recent years are not irrelevant? When we had an influx of Painted HEs a few years back for the first time in ages, everyone seemed happy with the explanation that drought conditions had pushed the birds east. Why would unusual sightings now require different types of explanation? …. J

Stephen