canberrabirds

Honeyeater Poll

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>
Subject: Honeyeater Poll
From: "Stephen Mugford" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:18:34 +1000

Geoffrey

I am sceptical these birds have been around before on any regular basis. My reasoning is that the probability of sighting any bird is a function of:

  1. the number of people searching and the efficacy of their search strategies;
  2. the range of sites searched; and
  3. the presence of birds to be found once searching commences.

I am not aware of parameters 1 and 2 changing in any significant way over the last 10 years (and I am certain that the “Veerman Garden” site has been regularly searched!).

Ergo, the simplest explanation (Occam’s Razor, etc) is that the birds were not here in any regular way before. Were we to believe that they WERE there but missed we would need an (unnecessarily complex) explanation of how everyone missed them as well as an explanation of how, without changing sites and strategies, etc, we have now at last found them.

Of course, this argument reflects my personal preference for theory over data, but we do HAVE (negative) data—that is, the fact that they have not been reported despite thousands of trip reports….

Stephen