canberrabirds

Quick thinking in Melba

Subject: Quick thinking in Melba
From: Bron King <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:53:49 +1000
I wish I hadn't been out enjoying a lunch with my friends yesterday.
You never know what you'll miss if you don't have your binoculars attached.

Sam, our newly-interested-birdo son, wandering down to collect a more environmentally
friendly egg for his lunch from our chooks, came face to face with a
sparrow-reducing ally, and had the presence of mind to slip inside, get the camera and
take these pictures.

Emacs! Emacs! Emacs!
Lunch forgotten, on his dad's advice, he measured the fence, worked out the bird was abt. 30cm so was
probably a male Collared Sparrowhawk. (the Brown Goshawk picture gave him a
moment of doubt, but the long toe and square tail put him back on track).
Very exciting and a first for our home-list.

At 20 I think he's joined the flock of serious watchers. Welcome Sam!

Bron King