canberrabirds

Starlings

To: <>, "Bron King" <>
Subject: Starlings
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:27:33 +1100
Hi Daryl,

All good points. I believe there is a strong connection between the abundances of these two species. Whether causal or not is hard to say. Certainly the increase in the Myna population since 1981 matched a decrease in the Starling population. There is little benefit in removing the Mynas if the Starlings increase in numbers again. The rate of increase of the Myna had already started to reduce by about 1998 (GBS data). One thing I don't agree on though is the suggestion that our Starlings migrate. In Europe they do but don't appear to do so, here. They do disperse though, at the times that you suggest. Recorded abundance of the Starling does not vary greatly during the year (GBS data), tending to be lowest in spring, due to lesser flocking then and more birds breeding.