canberrabirds

Starlings

Subject: Starlings
From: Bron King <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:34:25 +1100
Bill
We are operating a myna trap in Melba. We have caught no mynas in the past 12 months (no news is good news!), but continue to catch starlings (average 4.4 birds per trap day). It occurs to me that we should try to coordinate our trapping strategy with others to optimise our effect on the Canberra population of this somewhat under-rated pest. Does the Indian Myna Action Group Inc. have a strategy for targeting starlings, or are you aware of anyone who does?

My own observation is that there are 2 periods in the year when starling captures are optimal. In each period, the majority of birds visiting a trap location are naive, and therefore more likely to be caught before they learn to avoid traps. 1. Right now (January) the majority of birds visiting a particular food source are recently fledged chicks that are learning about the location of such sources from their parents and from older fledglings in their local area. These naive birds are readily trapped. I believe that systematic targeting of starlings at this time of year can have an important local impact. 2. During the cooler months, when food is not so widely available, and when starlings are aggregating in preparation for migration, birds from a much wider area follow the experienced local birds to reliable food sources. A large proportion of these visitors will have little experience of traps, and it seems that their readiness to enter the trap encourages the local birds to drop their own guard. Targeting them at that time could have a useful impact on populations in the wider geographical area.

If, like us, other ACT starling trappers can only operate their traps for a short period during the year, I would suggest they target the two periods outlined above. Our own strategy involves trapping for about a month from early January, and again for a month from early May.

I would be pleased to share experience with others who are interested in developing a starling trapping strategy.

Cheers,
Daryl King