canberrabirds

FW: Wonga Pigeon

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: FW: Wonga Pigeon
From: "Overs, Anthony \(REPS\)" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:53:07 +1100

Hi all,
On Sunday I saw a Wonga Pigeon in the Brindabellas - along Old Mill Road about 1-2 km NE of Bull's Head. It was just wandering casually along the track as I rounded a bend - pretty typical stuff. This was just after running in to John Goldie and Cathy Walter further down on Warks Rd near Blundells Ck Rd, who I had just told I didn't think that Wongas had been recorded in the brindies since the 2003 fires. I have GPS coordinates but forgot to bring them in this morning.

Also of interest were 2 pairs of Eastern Whipbirds (if you accept that the "duetting" of this species represents a pair) both calling from within about 200 m of each other at a location about 500m up Warks Rd from its intersection with Blundells Ck Rd; and a lyrebird heard calling there too. Another (male) lyrebird crossing the Mt Franklin Rd just south of Bendora Arboretum and heading down the (very dry) Goodradigbee side of the range.

Harvey

Harvey Perkins
CRC Programme
Dept Education, Science and Training