canberrabirds

Visit to Tidbinbilla

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Visit to Tidbinbilla
From: "Allan & Hazel Wright" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:35:18 +1100
On Wednesday  14 December, we took a visiting Canadian couple to Tidbinbilla.  Quite a lot of activity in the koala enclosure with Yellow-faced, White-naped, White-eared Honeyeaters aplenty, Flame Robins, Rufous Whistlers, Grey Shrike Thrush, Fan-tailed Cuckoos, Superb Fairywrens, WB Scrubwrens, Dusky Woodswallow, SC Cockatoos, and Aust Ravens but the best was seeing the nest of the Black-shouldered Kite.with 2 young.

At the waterbird enclosure there were the usual assortment of waterfowl, including a pair of Musk Ducks and a pair of Shovellers.  Does anybody know, are the Magpie Geese natural residents or were they brought in and pinioned?  In other words can we add them to our ACT list or not?  Also, there was a Red-bellied Black snake just inside the gate.

And later that evening we went to the dam on Mt Majura and saw a pair of Glossy-black Cockatoos coming in to drink.

This morning Sun 18 we had Yellow-rumped Thornbills in the garden for the first time since the fires.

Allan and Hazel Wright
Canberra ACT

The Nation's Capital