canberrabirds

little birds etc

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: little birds etc
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:37:19 +1100
Thanks to those who gave suggestions re my draft on 10 things to know about little birds. Sent if off this morning and have had a positive response from John Martin - though he's not sure if it will go in before he comes back from his Christmas break. Someone now needs to do one for bigger birds . . .
A little on my little birds (there are lots around here at the moment):
* scrubwrens have nested under the seat of an old bike at the back of my carport - there are now noisy hatchlings
* resident (?) E.spinebill has  responded a couple of times to the reflection in my office window as the SPs did from Feb to July - agitatedly moving down a small hakea branch towards the window, then flying at the window (but not as aggressively as the female SP)
* a brown thornbill that has been around for a few weeks has also noted the reflection, been a bit curious, but not behaved at all aggressively (it & a partner spend quite a bit of time every day in the hakea)
* heard in a big E. fastigata a distinctive call that I do not recognise and could not pick on the 'Birds of the ACT' CD - a call that I can best describe as a pleasant sounding drill (doing a job like turning long screws) = brrrrrrrrrt, brrrrrrrrrrt, brrrrrrrrrrrt. I did catch a very fleeting glimpse of what might have been a white-throated treecreeper, but the call had much more of a 'rolled R' sound than the calls on the CD and what I've heard before. Any suggestions?
cheers
Barbara
__________________________________
Barbara Preston Research