canberrabirds

green crimsons again

To: <>
Subject: green crimsons again
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:56:49 +1100
Well, yes, Elizabeth - if your eye has gone to the picture, I must immediately confirm that this morning's snaps are not of green crimson rosellas. I presented myself at about 7am, when Jonette McDonnell was able to confirm that your green chaps had been there, but were in evidence no longer. Then Michael Lenz arrived to say he was midway through his quarterly survey and complaining of just having been attacked by a female Brown Goshawk. It was all happening. The next thing I saw was a red-gaitered Noel Luff snapping away in the underbrush with his recently acquired photographic outfit. In the absence of green parrots I shifted operations to the goshawk zone. If you look carefully at these snaps you will see some creeping red around the base of the bill. As Michael had no obvious wounds - and it is definitely not my own blood - I shall, pending better evidence, assume that this is in all probability nothing more than a sign of breakfast of common starling. I returned to the green parrot area at about 9 am to find not much more around than an apparently ownerless Jack Russell, which on this occasion I, having taken home my share of lost dogs in my time, ignored. So about all I've got from the morning apart from a few grass-seeds and goshawk swoops is a reminder that tomorrow I must put off the Christmas shopping yet again and do my own quarterly survey.