canberrabirds

Male Koel

To: <>
Subject: Male Koel
From: <>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:44:20 +1100
G'day Barbara,

He moved to the Page side of Scullin on the weekend, I can't remember which morning.  That is if it was the same bird.  I've been to Adelaide in between so it's a bit hazy!  There's even a remote chance that we were listening at the same time come to think of it since we're only 600m or so apart as the crow flies.  If you draw a line between our places I thought he was a bit further North and probably around Chewing St but I was still in bed!

Managed to see half a dozen Rock Parrots close up, some resting on exposed branches, in the ecotone where the sand dunes and samphire meet, on the Spencer Gulf side of the York Peninsula which was good!  In between Cape Elizabeth and Balgowan for those interested.  Saw other neophema flying around that seemed a little brighter so possibly Blue winged as well.  Didn't have a chance to check much more as time ran out but am very keen to go back and actually make it up to Cape Elizabeth.....one day I spose!!!

Oh half a dozen Ruddy Turnstone and a flock of 50 Red-capped Plovers down on the waters edge too, hiding in the cobbles and boulders.  Mixed flock of 50 or so cormorants made up of all three 'pied' species was camped on a low rocky headland.

Rock doves are very common throughout the area (mostly cropping) and together with the galahs, toppies etc. must provide a great food source for bird eating raptors.  The local (and vocal) Hobbies around the farm house I stayed in near Maitland had two youngsters chasing galahs, pigeons and starlings all day.  Training I guess.

cheers, Alex.