canberrabirds

Advice sought re White-browed scrub wrens breeding

To: <>
Subject: Advice sought re White-browed scrub wrens breeding
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:32:20 +1000
This morning a currawong was on the ground close to the scubwren nest with noisy young. It took off seeing me (learnt behaviour to avoid a dousing . . . ) . I have various wire nettings around - would it be helpful if I put some loosely well above (1/2 metre, say) the nest (the nest is in a space about a metre square between two low retaining walls and a small tree - it's all well grown with ground covers, small scrubs etc) - or would any such disturbance lead to abandonment? And would approx 10/12cm square netting be sufficient, or should it be finer (4/6 cm)?
Any suggestions appreciated.
cheers
Barbara Preston