birding-aus

feral cats and immigration (The Age)

To: <>
Subject: feral cats and immigration (The Age)
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 15:19:04 +1100
Many years ago (1977) I did a university project about the coat pattern
genetics of feral cats, testing the hypothesis that under some selective
pressure for camouflage assisting better hunting or protection from
predators they would tend to revert to wild-type. So I have maintained some
interest. I have various references on the issue of cat colour genetics and
efforts to try to trace ancestry of populations by this method. They all
seemed a bit tenuous to me. I think a suggestion of pre European arrival of
cats in Australia novel and rather weird. I can't think of any existing
evidence that would support that or how or why it should happen. Surely the
species of small mammals that have succumbed would have already done so
before European people arrived. About the idea that feral cats in northern
Australia may be smaller than in the south, well that may well be (it is a
new idea to me). If so that simply supports the general rule of clinal
variation that says that organisms further from the equator tend to be
bigger than tropical forms (usually of the same species). I would think it
is quite feasible that feral cats could have adapted that way in a bit over
200 years.

My comments on coat pattern genetics of cats (below) only mention three
genes, those that are the most relevant, there are several other genes that
produce other effects on these basic ones.

The correspondence below may contribute something although I won't include
the attachments as they are 3MB.

Philip Veerman

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your interesting email. It would be interesting to see your
report, though I'm not sure that much could come of it now. I think it's
pretty well recognised now that feral cats (as well as other species, like
pigs) tend to revert to a wild phenotype fairly quickly. Although this is
probably one of those things that is just accepted because it makes
intuitive sense, without ever been tested or quantitatively described.

Pip Masters at Kangaroo Island NRM Board has an increasing dataset of feral
cats killed or found as road kill on the island. Most of them have been dark
tabbies of one type or another; black has also been common. David Paton from
Adelaide Uni also reported similar results (attached paper page 7). Most in
our study were also tabbies, as detailed in the attached paper WR11134.

My impression was that coat patterns tended to be more varied closer to
settlements, as might be expected if there were more domestic phenotypes
regularly entering the population in these areas, but I this is just an
impression. I can't recall ever seeing a cat with white in its coat at any
of our bushland sites, but we found a few around farms and towns (I have one
such skin hanging in my office).

One final attachment that you might be interested in is a poster classifying
domestic cats according to their coat patterns.

Thanks again for the information. Among other things, I've now learnt that
all tortoiseshell cats are female.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Andrew Bengsen | Research Officer
NSW Department of Primary Industries | Vertebrate Pest Research Unit
1447 Forest Rd | Orange NSW 2800 | Locked Bag 6006 | Orange NSW 2800
T: 02 6391 3991 | M: 0438 746 294 | F: 02 6391 3972 | E: