birding-aus

feral cats and immigration (The Age)

To: Andrew Stafford <>
Subject: feral cats and immigration (The Age)
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 07:39:05 +1100
Good response, Andrew. Having said that, while I think it's absurd that feral
cats are only despised because they're not native, I have noticed an attitude
to ferals among some people that's similar to racism.

They seem to have an excessive hatred for Mynas, etc, and cane toads are often
subjected to all kinds of painful deaths. Perhaps it's necessary to hate
something in order to continue culling it, and perhaps Franklin has noticed
this and got the cause and the effect the wrong way around.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad