birding-aus

Needletails over Lamington and Duck Creek Rd in Good Condition

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Needletails over Lamington and Duck Creek Rd in Good Condition
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 06:15:58 +1000
Yesterday we decided to escape the heat and spend the day with the pittas, frogs, crayfish and dragons in the rainforest walking up Canungra Creek (Green Mts NP, SEQ). The highlight was a Southern Angle-Headed Dragon that I had walked past.

When we were about a kilometre from O'Rileys coming back along the Border Track (around 3 pm), I happened to look up and notice a stream of Needletails heading north into Queensland. They weren't hanging around and I didn't see the leading edge, but I would have seen at least 50 passing in the 10 secs I could see through the canopy opening. When we got out to the cafe at the lodge, we could see a storm building up over the border region to the west.

After iced drinks / coffee in the cafe, we drove back via Duck Creek Rd (a quiet alternative to the bitumen). The road was totally dry in the rainforest section and as smooth as it gets (it is a private road and has been worked on). At present it is in 2WD condition for vehicles with a bit of clearance (so you can clear the water channelling humps). Be sure to leave a gold coin in the donation box at the bottom gate to contribute to the maintenance ...

As a bonus, we scored a watermelon for $2 and a pumpkin for $3 at the farm opposite the start of Duck Creek Rd as we headed out to Beaudesert.

Regards, Laurie.