birding-aus

feral cats and immigration (The Age)

To: " net. au" <>
Subject: feral cats and immigration (The Age)
From: Andrew Stafford <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 23:19:06 +1000
After my somewhat intemperate outburst regarding the publication of Professor
Adrian Franklin's piece in The Age earlier this week (I called it "the biggest
load of crap this side of a dysentery epidemic"), Birding-Aus filled up for a
day with far more useful posts than mine about the feral cat problem. I would
like to thank all those people whose posts led me to links that I quickly
assembled for an opinion piece of my own by way of reply. I was intending to do
this anyway - but those replies saved me a lot of time in research, and I thank
everyone who contributed to the topic. These replies need to be written quickly
if they're to be published, so it was a great help. I trust I haven't
plagiarised anyone! I did borrow the superb quote from Ross Macfarlane's
brother at the end, which I acknowledged, though not by name.

The piece appears in today's Age, quite to my surprise (no one contacted me to
tell me it was going in) -
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/a-feral-cat-is-not-a-metaphor-its-a-furry-killing-machine-20130112-2cmqi.html?rand=1357994295512

One thing that got edited out of my short bio at the bottom was that I keep my
lilac-point ragdoll indoors!

Thanks again

Andrew