birding-aus

Shrike-tit calls

To: Graeme Chapman <>
Subject: Shrike-tit calls
From: Peter Lansley <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 16:50:35 +1100
Hi Graeme,
interesting that Eastern Shrike-tits can have significantly different calls to
Northern S-t, thanks for enlightening me.

I was almost going to say that I had not had much experience with the species
in Qld (once I think) but left it that my experience was based on
'south-eastern Australia'. Specifically, Victoria where I've seen and heard the
species probably upward of 100 occasions, and the calls are pretty uniform in
my experience across Vic. (and like I said, very similar to those I heard at
Drysdale River). It is a species frequently detected by call - the calls are so
distinctive, nothing much else is confusable...although I guess if calling at a
distance, Black-eared Cuckoo may sound similar.
I certainly agree with your point that we know little about the repertoire of
many of our common bush birds and there is probably much undocumented variation.

An example is Little Grassbird, how many on birding-aus realise that this
species, apart from the usual mournful whistle (sonograms A & B, HANZAB v. 7 p.
1643), has a staccato piping comprising at least three notes per second and
lasting for about 1.5 - 2 seconds (uttered less commonly, but I've heard it
give this call on several occasions at Werribee Treatment Plant including last
weekend 6/1/13)? You won't find that documented in HANZAB which only describes
two types of calls (it's not the harsh rattling call of Sonogram C either).
However, "song in WA is said to be considerably different from e. Aust." but no
detail is given (under the 'geographical variation' heading in voice section,
p. 1643).

Cheers
Peter