birding-aus

What makes a species a "garden bird"?

To: "'Paul'" <>
Subject: What makes a species a "garden bird"?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 15:11:00 +1000
Hi Paul,

Sorry I for one don't understand the reason for the question. Is this in the
past or future tense? If it has already happened, the answer is yes. If it
hasn't happened, the answer is no (or not yet).

As to whether the species as a whole is common and characteristic of
suburban gardens, well that is another question and may depend on where you
live but probably in general it is not. For what it is worth, at the time I
wrote my book "Canberra Birds: A Report on the first 21 years of the Garden
Bird Survey" there were no records of the species in COG's GBS but in the 9
years since, there have been 2.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Wednesday, 9 May 2012 11:37 AM    To:

Would the Painted Button-quail that ambled across our lawn one day qualify?
Paul Osborn
Bulahdelah, NSW