birding-aus

What makes a species a "garden bird"?

To: "'Laurie Knight'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: What makes a species a "garden bird"?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 23:55:54 +1000
Hi Laurie,

It depends how you define your survey. The short answer is obviously you
need to define your methods and keep to them, not decide which species are
and are not before the event, otherwise the survey is meaningless. Thus it
is I think irrelevant to ask if Tawny Frogmouths are garden birds, but that
about Boobooks and Powerful Owls may not be, even though they are much less
common and in marginal habitat. It depends on what fits the rules of the
survey.  As for migrants, of course they should be included. Certainly in
Canberra, broadly speaking about a third of species are more common in
summer, about a third of species are more common in winter and the rest not
so obviously consistently different.

My book: as in The third edition of my report, entitled: "Canberra Birds: A
Report on the first 21 years of the Garden Bird Survey" goes into great
detail about this particular survey and the methods used for it. It is 130
pages. The report is based on the first 21 years of continuous data, from
53244 observer weeks of data, from 1316 observer years of data, from a total
of 294 sites. It also has a detailed discussion of the literature of urban
bird surveys around the world (three pages). It is a very useful reference
for anyone who has ever participated in or planned a long-term volunteer
based bird population survey.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902