birding-aus

Scarlet-chested Parrot- Anne Beadell Hwy - SA/WA

To: <>
Subject: Scarlet-chested Parrot- Anne Beadell Hwy - SA/WA
From: "Ian & Carla Jackett" <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 20:04:29 +0800
Hi all,

Ian and I recently drove across the Anne Beadell Highway (Great Victoria
Desert) from Coober Pedy to Laverton from 29th April to 6th of May.  Over
that time we saw 5 sightings of Scarlet-chested Parrot but no Princess
Parrot were seen. We saw quite a few Mulgas and some Mallee Ringnecks and
two lots of Major Mitchell?s, but there were many hours when we saw no
parrots at all in certain parts of the desert.

Sighting one (SA) on 30/4 at 8:15am, was a female perched on a dead branch
facing me about 75 metres from our first camp. This was in Tallaringa
Conservation Area, SA. Lat/Long S 028° 57? 58.28? E 133° 01? 27.28?.
Sighting two (SA) on 1/5 at 8:00am at our camp, was of a male and female on
the low dune crest/swale. I admit here I used playback but no other time.  I
took a few photos that are ok.  Good views for a few minutes then they flew
off and the female landed on a dead branch nearby.  Lat/Long S 028° 33°
11.56? E 131° 53? 1.29?.  Sighting three (SA) was in the Woomera Prohibited
area on 1/5 before 9:30 sometime? This was 3 Km west of Anne?s Corner.  Two
males flew into a dead tree fairly close to track so we had good views for a
few minutes.  Sighting four (WA) on 5/5 at 11:50am and I couldn?t believe
this luck we were having.  We stopped at the Anne Beadell monument erected
last year for morning tea and low and behold, I was looking around in the
trees as per usual and spotted a pair resting on a dead branch (the only
exposed part of the otherwise densely foliated eucalypt).   Facing the
monument the two eucs are side by side to the left.  I got a few photos but
light was poor.  Sighting five (WA) on 6/5 while on Yarmana Road heading to
Laverton, I saw two fly over the road just in front of us past an old
bore/dam with a windmill.  We saw a number of parrots unidentified flying
fast across the road (mainly in pairs) along the way in SA mostly,  and
although saw flashes of yellow, we couldn?t be sure but suspected some would
have been Scarlets.  It was very quiet at Neale Junction/Yeo Lake and
parrots in general were not as ?common as muck? there, as the Perth boys
found at Neale Junction in January! ? All in all I think I counted 50
species along the Anne Beadell.

Regards,  Carla and Ian Jackett