birding-aus

What makes a species a "garden bird"?

To: Laurie Knight <>,
Subject: What makes a species a "garden bird"?
From: Sonja Ross <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 21:29:32 +1000
Hi Laurie,

An interesting proposition to think about!

Won't that vary a bit depending on where the bird was born?    Just thinking
about my local area in Melbourne, we have both Eastern and Crimson Rosellas
visit the gardens in our street and in the linear park along the local creek
for much of the year, but then there would surely be birds in the country which
would rarely be in a garden.

Any birds seen on a regular basis within a big city would surely have to
quality, but these probably vary according to geographical location?

People living at the beach or some country towns probably have gulls on their
lawn/roof fairly regularly, but I struggle to think of a Silver Gull as a
garden bird!

It will be interesting to read other responses.

Sonja