birding-aus

Re: [Birding-Aus] Royal “set-to” in Royal Park

To: Laurie Knight <>
Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Royal “set-to” in Royal Park
From: David James <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 00:40:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi Laurie,
BA, BOCA, etc are incorporated associations, which makes them not-for-profit
organisations. Like all such 'assocs' they are owned by their members. There is
specific legislation in all states that separates 'assocs' from commercial
entities (businesses). Both organistations have a constitution setting out
their purpose and endorsed democratically by their members, that is made and
registered under relevant legislation (Victorian, in both cases I believe).
Elected office bearers are not remunerated. The 'assocs' can (and do) undertake
commercial activities to generate income, and they can (and do) employ people
for such purposes. They can even own business which return profits to them.
However, any surplus revenue goes back into the organisation or into charitable
activities. No revenue is distributed amongst the owners under any
circumstances. Both organisations use whatever surplus revenue they can
generate to further their constitutional goals, which
 in these examples is bird conservation and research. Rotary, Lions Club,
Landcare, RACQ, children's cancer charities, etc. are incorporated and operate
in the same way.

I can't speak on the structure of Bird-O, except that it is not an incorporated
association, so I presume that it is a business of some sort.

Incidentally, Birding-Aus may rely on internet infrastructure supplied
free-of-charge by Yahoo. Yahoo is indeed a large business. However, Birding-Aus
is not a business and is part of Yahoo. I can't otherwise speak about its
organisational structure.

By the way, I made no claim that I don't use or visit commercial websites, or
that they have no value. I said I didn't care to use that option to view
information that was originally placed in the public domain. I have no problem
with commercial web sites. It's true to say I don't like the spruiking and
hyperbole associated with the modern commercial world, but its part of life.