birding-aus

RFI - Birds Hitting Windows

To: <>
Subject: RFI - Birds Hitting Windows
From: "Lisa & Dominic" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:17:35 +1000
We had a lot of trouble with Emerald Doves hitting the windows of our house
near Cairns. Very distressing.

Not cleaning the windows didn't stop them but sticking up a large cross of
white tape did.

However this doesn't look too attaractive.

Then last year we bought some transparent stickers from a company in the USA
called WindowAlert

www.WindowAlert.com

These are clear stickers in various shapes such as butterflies. However, as
discussed earlier in this thread they contain a chemical which reflects
Ultraviolet light.

To quote the company literature:

"Window Alert is a static cling decal that may be applied to home and office
windows. The decal contains a component which brilliantly reflects ultraviolet
light. This ultraviolet light is invisible to humans, but glows like a
stoplight for birds. Birds have vision that is up to 12 times better than that
of humans.

Window Alert decal help birds 'see' windows and thus avoid striking the glass"

Cost is about $6 (Plus $5 postage from the USA) for a pack of 4 which we put on
each window.

This does seem to have stopped the Emerald Doves.

Note: We have no commercial interest in this company

Lisa Tanner & Dominic Chaplin
PO Box 208
Bungalow QLD 4870
Tel 0419 028 077 Fax 07 4051 4896