birding-aus

RFI - Birds hitting windows

To: Chris Watson <>,
Subject: RFI - Birds hitting windows
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:46:13 +1100
Dear Chris,
  1. Keep the windows obscured with a good layer of dirt.
2. Hang up shade-cloth on the outside of the windows (then you can still see through to some extent. 3. Cut out a flying hawk or falcon shape and stick it to the window. My template came from a BOCA website.

I occasionally use method 3 for a day or two, when the resident White-browed Scrubwren is too persistent about attacking his refection. He then stays away for weeks.

Spotted Doves fly full-tilt into our windows at times. Fortunately they seem to bounce off unharmed. We have also had a Kookaburra (survived, but I can't believe the window did) and an Azure Kingfisher, which bounced off and crash-landed in a garden-bed across the courtyard and had to be rescued from a very interested cat. Full recovery and release after a short stay in a shoe-box.

These accidents come about when the sky is heavily clouded and sky and tree reflections in windows are very convincing, or when there are large windows on both sides of a room and it looks as if birds could fly straight through. Drawing a curtain will then help.

Anthea Fleming