birding-aus

Commerce and Birding

To: Clive Nealon <>
Subject: Commerce and Birding
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:22:18 +1100
Technically at the moment we don't accept advertising on the BOCA site -
however we do post links for people who advertise in our magazine, so that
is really splitting hairs!
We regard advertising as a necessary (if fairly small) part of our
operations - it helps us to maintain our services and we try to ensure that
adverts are "ethical" and of interest to our readers - although there can be
no guarantees in that area.
Running any form of website (or publishing any form of information) costs
money somewhere along the line and if advertising helps the birding
community to get a better range of material then great. I'd rather have a
site with adverts (which may just interest me and in any case I can ignore
them unless they are too obtrusive) than no site at all. I think we are
fortunate that we have a reasonable range of websites in Australia, many of
which - Eremaea, Birdpedia, BirdingAus, bird-o - are run I would guess at
some cost to the dedicated individuals who provide the service we can all
enjoy.