birding-aus

Just in from Thailand - Stilt Sandpiper update

To: "'Paul Rose'" <>, <>
Subject: Just in from Thailand - Stilt Sandpiper update
From: "Paul G Dodd" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:58:25 +1100
Hi Paul,

In recent times, the Stilt Sandpiper has generally been seen at the Western
Lagoons or the "flooded paddock" immediately to the north of the Western
Lagoons.

The gate to the Western Lagoons is near the corner on Point Wilson
Road/Twenty-nine Mile Road where the road turns towards the west. The gate
is marked "Gate 2" - and is often referred to as "The Spit Gate".

Western Lagoon, pond 4, is the pond immediately inside this gate. The bird
has been seen from both the northern track and the middle track (both of
which end in "parking areas"/turn-arounds).

In the same time period, this pond has also seen up to five Pectoral
Sandpipers, two or three Ruffs, a Long-toed Stint, Grey-tailed Tattlers and
a Terek Sandpiper. It's been an amazing season!

The Stilt Sandpiper and some of the other goodies have also been seen in the
flooded paddock which can be seen from Point Wilson Road. Best viewing,
though, is to enter The Spit gate and turn immediately left. There is
another gate a few metres ahead that doesn't have a lock. Go through this
gate, and the paddock can be viewed to the north. Be careful, though,
because this track is not suitable for driving on if it has rained.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria