birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 01:30:49 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 29 Aug 2010.

Sun 29 Aug      Grey Goshawks, Pacific Bazas, Australian Owlet-nightjar,
Shanes Park Air Services Land (off Captain Cook Drive) (approx. 10km W
of Blacktown CBD)
Spring is well into full swing with all the love making at Shanes Park
this morning. Pairs of both Grey Goshawks and Pacific Bazas were seen
displaying (the later also calling while displaying), Varied Sitellas
seen copulating (many other Sitellas present as well), at least two
pairs of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos and their young, Fairy Martins
busily repairing their nests/feeding young, White-bellied Sea-eagles
honking away, Shining Bronze-cuckoo displaying, a pair of Crested
Shrike-tits, a pair of Tawny Frogmouths disturbed in a low roost close
to the ground, the Owlet-nightjar looking outside its hollow, Scarlet
Honeyeaters, Rose Robins, at least 7 Speckled Warblers (including 3
pairs), White-thraoted Gerygone and a few Rufous Whistlers and at least
2 pairs of Buff-rumped Thornbills with young. Shanes Park is definitely
one of the best birding places in Sydney!!!!
Edwin Vella, Mark Fuller et al

        Figbird Engine Pond Sydney Airport
1 male and 1 female seen in the fenced off figtree
Gabrielle Rees

        Painted Honeyeater Wingecarribee Reservoir (near Bowral)
Absolutely stunned and thrilled to hear the call of one, possibly two,
Painted Honeyeaters at Wingecarribee Reservoir today, circa 1pm. I was
unable to see the bird(s), unfortunately. There was a lot of flowering
mistletoe about. This is only the third time I've recorded these birds
in my life and a first for the Southern Highlands. Indeed, I'd be keen
to know if any records exist for the Southern Highlands at all. I
suggest any local birders get there asap to search for the birds.
Lorne Johnson

        White-bellied Sea-Eagle Wingecarribee Reservoir (near Bowral)
Stunning adult seen circa 1pm; hassled by a Little Raven until it moved
tot he south. Only my second record of a Sea-Eagle in the Highlands.
Lorne Johnson

        Painted Button-quail, White-naped Honeyeater, Chestnut-rumped
Heathwren, Fuscous Honeyeater Chiltern Trail, Ingleside
Painted Button-quail: platelets seen and was heard in private property
in Ingleside (1). White-naped Honeyeater: It seemed as if the flock of
ten and only just arrived. Haven't seen this species here for a couple
of weeks now. (10). Chestnut-rumped Heathwren: Amazing veiws of one
male. Stunning bird. (2). Fuscous Honeyeater: Unusual here. Great veiws
of one. (3).
Henry Coleman

Sat 28 Aug      Pacific Baza Cumberland State Forest
Edwin Vella posted on 17 July on this subject. There are now two Bazas
hanging around quite close to the main entrance - maybe breeding. Also
many Musk and Scaly breasted Lorikeets, Satin Bowerbird etc.
Carol Abbott

        Ground Cuckoo-shrike 3.2 km south of Euabolong
3 Ground Cuckoo-shrikes feeding in a paddock on the western side of the
Lake Cargelligo - Euabolong road this morning.
Troy Mutton

        PowerfulOwl Rainforest Walk, Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney
city.
One bird still present Sat morning. The girls in the gardens shop are
very helpful and will describe the walk accurately; it's not that well
signposted!
Alan McBride

        Little Ravens and Great Crested Grebe Castlereagh Cell
A flock of approximately 25-30 Little Ravens present at the private
property Nimmitta on Taylor Rd, opposite St Paul's Grammar School. The
nesting White-winged Chough chicks are now fully feathered and are
looking well. 14 Great Crested Grebes on west pond of Penrith Lakes at
the T-junction of Castlereagh and Cranebrook Roads. 2 Great Crested
Grebes on east pond still and another 4 observed on the large pond about
500m south of the town of Castlereagh on the east side of road.
Ákos Lumnitzer

        Lewin's Rail, Superb Lyrebird, Olive-backed Oriole Irrawong
Reserve, Warriewood
At least 1 Lewin's Rail near the track through Irrawong Reserve this
morning. I first heard the rail calling at around 9:15am, and the low
water levels allowed me to locate it and obtain some glimpses. Also, 2
Superb Lyrebirds displaying, one right on the path near the waterfall,
and an Olive-backed Oriole.
Henry Coleman

Fri 27 Aug      Figbird Brookvale
The Birds reported at Manly Selective haven't been seen since, but today
I saw a single male bird opposite the Macdonalds, this means they're
nearby, hopefully they should return soon
Nathan Ruser

        Banded Lapwing, Wedge-tailed and Fluttering Shearwaters Stockton
Beach
A lonely Banded Lapwing was a surprise to see standing out in the
sand-blasted beach today during a regular monitoring survey of Stockton
Beach. Also, streams of Fluttering-type Shearwaters not far to sea -
estimated 3000+ along the beach (several confirmed to be Flutterings).
The first Wedge-tailed Shearwaters we've seen for spring off the Hunter
coastline as well, with about 600 birds seen, most flying in a northerly
direction.
Mick Roderick, Ann Lindsey and Mike Newman

Thu 26 Aug      Bush Stone-curlew Karuah
A solitary Bush Stone-curlew first seen in a Council reserve north of
the Karuah bridge and later heard calling on the Karuah side of it.
Alan Stuart & Kristy Peters

        Powerful Owl; Tawny Frogmouth Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney
The Powerful Owl reported last week was still there on 26/7/2010 in the
rainforest walk; apparently it has been there for a couple of weeks.
Staff at the gardens can assist in locating the owl. Also present was a
pair of Tawny Frogmouths.
Martin & Penny Potter

        Chestnut-breasted Mannikin Penrith Baseball fields
This morning a flock of around 60 were feeding on the NW field behind
the goal posts. Also heard Brown Quail nearby and the usually present
Yellow-rumped Thornbills. This is a good location for seeing the
Mannikins as they are generally around in the area.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Wed 25 Aug      Bassian Thrush Bundanon (Shoalhaven River)
I'm on a residency in the writer's cottage at Bundanon, a property on
the Shoalhaven River, left to the nation by Arthur and Yvonne Boyd.
Taking a walk along the track to a natural amphitheatre here yesterday
(25/08), I watched a Bassian thrush hop from the leaf litter, and then
back when it caught sight of me. For a full ten seconds, though, we
stood there regarding each other with fascination-at least, I was
fascinated, and delighted.
Mark Tredinnick

Tue 24 Aug      Grey Goshawk (white morph) Cliff Road Freemans Reach NSW
Very clear sighting in the ironbarks on our property. Repeat sighting on
the 26th Aug
Richard Clark

        Great Crested Grebe Penrith Lakes area
In case someone is interested seeing the resident (not sure to be
technically correct, but I have been seeing them here for a long, long
time) Great Crested Grebes near the corner of Cranebrook and Castlereagh
Roads, two are still on the east pond (smaller) and there were at least
three on the west pond this morning at 10am.
Ákos Lumnitzer

        Grey Goshawk, Pied Butcherbird Richmond Lowlands
Went looking for the Spotted Harrier Edwin reported on Sunday and looked
in the fields he observed it, but all I could see was the white phase
Grey Goshawk sitting on a power pole along Cornwallis Rd, near the
little bridge over the creek. The hawk flew west at around 200m at a
time being constantly mobbed by Australian Magpies and Ravens. When I
looked over the large fields around Baker's Lagoon seeking the harrier
(still) I heard a very sweet butcherbird call. It ended up being the
Pied Butcherbird; the first I have seen in the Sydney Basin. Please
excuse the sub-standard image of it in flight.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Sun 22 Aug      Beach Stone-curlew Harrington
A single bird seen in the small inlet north of the breakwater, past the
sea rescue station, by a few members during a Hastings Birdwatchers Club
outing.
Murray, Silva Vaughan-Jones & Peter West per Clive Meadows

Sat 21 Aug      Pacific Baza Lakes of Cherrybrook
2 birds 10:30 am in Blue gums. Seen 3rd week in August same place 2007 &
2008
Gabrielle Rees

Wed 18 Aug      Little Egret, Eastern Curlew Bermagui River Conservation
Area
5 Little Egrets in breeding plumage and 3 Eastern Curlews were seen
quietly feeding in flooded wetlands along the Bermagui River this
afternoon. In nearby mangroves, a Sacred Kingfisher also in full
breeding plumage was observed.
Jacquie and Len Axen

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers